Release notes for Outrun version 0.9
Outrun 0.9 is a complete re-work of the older 0.8 version. Check the manual for details.
Always run an update after initial install, before you start installing Oracle!
- The DB cloning script (to install databases from templates) fails. The root cause is probably a problem with mixing of upper- and lowercase database names.
- When using Oracle 12c, after creating ASM, the asm diskstring is not picked up, requires a restart of ASM to detect candidate disks
- 2015-10-02 EL 6.7 support. ISO install image is now based on CentOS 6.7 minimal. Many other updates and fixes.
- 2015-08-06 outrun-rpms script changed for better usability
- 2015-08-06 Location changes:
- YUM repositories are now located under http://yum.outrun.nl (changed in outrun-release package)
- Downloads are now located under http://download.outrun.nl (changed in outrun-fetch scripts)
(remember to run yum update)
- Network settings sometimes refused to switch to manual DNS configuration
- After installing the outrun-oracle package, the Install menu fails. You need to exit the menu and restart it to source the new menu.
As per the open issues, you need to be aware of a few things:
- If you use Oracle 12c, restart ASM after first configuration or it will not show candidate volumes
- The install templates for 12c install all database options - needs to be changed to partitioning only. In 12c this can only be done AFTER installing Oracle binaries.
Known issues & workarounds
lightvnc black login screen
Some users have reported they cannot login to vnc after installing the service. I've seen this issue on few of my own installations but haven't been able yet to find the root cause. It seemed to disappear after updating the DNS settings or refresh the internal DNS server.
A reboot might be required, but in more classic "never reboot" UNIX style, you can also restart the services:
chkconfig lvnc-0 off chkconfig lvnc-0 on initctl restart prefdm
service network restart sometimes helps.
NTP issues during install
The Oracle installer is very sensitive to incorrect date&time settings. One known workaround is to stop ntp and remove /etc/ntp.conf before installing Oracle binaries. The oracle install scripts do this now but some still seem to have issues. Let me know if you experience this and we'll try to fix it.
XFS tools not available in Oracle Enterprise Linux
If you want to create or change XFS filesystems (which are being used in Outrun) you need the xfsprogs RPM package.
The package is part of V52218-01.iso (the name of Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.6) but is not included in the YUM repository definitions. You need to manually install.
If you're using Outrun PXE then run something like this:
Note that "curl" can help finding out where to get the package from:
yum repolist -v outrun-linux curl -l ftp://x.x.x.x/cdrom/